Having proper casino etiquette will make for a more relaxing and pleasurable experience for the gambler as well as fellow patrons. It’s important to have a clear concept of betting house protocol before entering the establishment. Understanding the general casino rules will also set the mind at ease and allow even a very inexperienced gambler to look and act like a veteran.
- Silence your cell phone: Cell phone use is frowned upon, or not allowed at all in some areas, such as the sports book area. While cell phone usage is permissible on and around the gaming floor, it is not allowed while seated at a table.
- Research gaming rules: Do some initial inquiry online regarding game rules, and understand the basic principles before entering the casino. Feel free to observe the table to get a feel for the rhythm before joining. Also, don’t hesitate to ask the dealer questions regarding variations of game play.
- Tipping: While customary in the United States and other parts of the world, it is illegal for an Aussie dealer to accept tips. While this system is set up primarily to avoid corruption and fraud, it has not been adopted by most of the remaining gambling epicenters. Be sure to tip when gambling abroad in places like Las Vegas, London, or Macau.
- Smoking: While smoking is allowed at most casinos, be aware of certain non-smoking areas within the establishment before lighting up.
- Stepping Away from a game: Kindly ask the dealer to ‘Mark your Place’ if a break is needed.
When joining a game
- Mind the margins: Be aware of both the minimum buy-in as well as the maximum at the table chosen.
- Money Transfer: Place cash on the table, not in the dealers hands. This is for personal safety. Almost all casinos have cameras arranged to view the transfer of money, so it is important to place cash on the table first. Be aware that it is courteous to wait until a hand is finished before placing money on the table.
- Chatting: Be polite and introduce yourself, but don’t chat up the other players at the table. It might be considered an unwanted distraction to the dealer and to other players.
- Placing Bets: The highest value chips should be at the bottom of the bet. Wait until a pause in play to exchange smaller-value chips for higher-value ones.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]Casino Etiquette: What to do, and what not to do at the tables,